this weekend in stitches

July 27th, 2008

It has been a busy week and a busy weekend, but figured I’d post some of the projects I worked on this afternoon to remind me that although I didn’t do much sitting around, I got a lot done.

A smock I fashioned from an un-used men’s seersucker shirt. I had an idea what I want this to look like so I drew what I thought would work on a piece of waxed paper. Taped it together. Tried the pattern on the most infant sized doll we had. Made adjustments with tape and more waxed paper until I had a pattern which I cut out of the bottom of the shirt, so that I didn’t have to hem. A typical dress shirt has hem that is perfectly curved to become a shift bottom. For the inside, I used the front of the shirt, sewing the placard shut with a zip-zag stitch.


Easy, easy appliqued shirts for the kiddos in our life: